In May of 2022, the United States Surgeon General released an advisory statement informing the public of the urgent issue of health worker burnout. This statement is a call to action to strengthen the nations public health infrastructure by addressing health worker burnout and to build a thriving workforce.
Themes of this statement include:
- A safe and inclusive health care environment
- Investing in a diverse and empowered health workforce
- Human centered technology
- A culture of healing, community, and connection
- Organizational values and leadership commitment to health workers needs
- Reducing administrative burdens during care delivery
- Community partnerships
- Accessible mental health and substance use care for all including health workers
As we look for solutions to health worker burnout, we must learn from the past and focus on the changes that we can make for a brighter future.
If you would like to read more: https://www.hhs.gov/surgeongeneral/priorities/health-worker-burnout/index.html
If you would like to learn about actions that can be taken: https://www.hhs.gov/surgeongeneral/priorities/health-worker-burnout/index.html#action